Sunday, September 9, 2012

First half of NY fashion week

Ok. So NY fashion week is in full swing now and I´ve been taking notes. I know, I´m a nerd. But hey, you´ll benefit! I was first going to do a post after the week was over but I figured it would maybe be too long and I don´t want to bore you people. I´m not reviewing all of the designers but a few that have been on my radar recently. Here goes!

BCBG Max Azria





This collection is very beautiful in my opinion. Very wearable, feminine yet on the edgier side. Here they used a lot of black, whites, blue-greys, lace and my favourite, leather. I also liked the use of leather harnesses to give an otherwise very femine look a more bad-ass feel. Though I do think the harnesses have been used a bit much recently I let this one slide. All in all a very good job.


Helmut Lang





Helmut Lang has been known for their luxe simple pieces. A soft as a babys´ass t-shirt made from luxe cotton-silk blend, the perfect leather pants and so on. This season the direction seems to have changed a bit. Not to worry, the simple pieces were still included but the designers took a risky turn braking into the print business and in my opinion, they succeeded. There was of course black, some leather pieces, blue, red and what I think is also seen else-where, the use of seethrough plasticky material and chiffon. Trend alert? I think so. The line had a sporty feel to it which I think will be a red-thread throughout the spring shows.


Prabal Gurung






Again I detected a sporty vibe in this collection. There was black, white, red, blue and a bit of print. There was also some nice leather pieces like them shorts here above. The layering was quite interesting but not for everyone to pull (unless looking huge is the desireable outcome). The flowy chiffon dresses over wide legged pants and jackets over, all in monochrome, nice! I think this collection should be appealing to the urban-chick and the more sophisticated lady. Versatility here.


Lacoste





Who would´ve thought?! I really like this collection from Lacoste. Of course the sporty feel was there, kind of their thing. But what I found very nice was the androgynous cut of the clothes, all very architectural and excellent colors. The midnight blues are yummy and again here we see the seethrough plasticky material (the last photo) which I´m really coming around to. And kudos for using leather Lacoste!


Rag & Bone





Ahh the blue leather pants...Love! And the green leather jacket. This collection I found to be very wearable. Very sellable indeed. Sporty-chick meets motorcycle-chick. I noticed the use of chiffon again (as in phot nr:2) and an interesting choice of stripes, railroad stripes (as in photo nr: 1). It was alright. Nothing more, nothing less.


Tess Giberson





This one is new for me to watch. Deconstruction-construction was how the designer described the collection. She took everything apart and then put back together. As a long time fan of Aftur design, this concept is very appealing to me. I really like how the designer managed to keep things flowy and all-white without it being corny or too girly. Very nice.


Alexander Wang









I know, a lot of photos but I couldn´t stop! Excellent job Wang! Funnily as the designer above, he was also thinking about construction-deconstruction in this collection. You notice how the garments are put together where only the thinnest string (well, it´s probably pretty solid) holds them together? Nice! Very urban woman, not so conservative as in his fall collection. More humor this time around. I mean, check out the football inspired leather shift/shirt! Very cool. And the silver..trend alert? I think so. Leather for spring/summer? Yeahhh!


This is what I´ve got so far. Plenty more to come! Are you snoozing yet? I´ll keep the following posts more brief, promise.


EJ



No comments:

Post a Comment